Mr. Raines has specialized in trial practice and civil litigation for the length of his career, handling cases involving real estate contracts, employment agreements, business transactions, construction, eminent domain, land use, and personal injury.
He earned his bachelor's degree in Political Science from the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1968. He served in Vietnam with the United States Army before attending the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, in San Francisco, obtaining his Juris Doctor in 1974.
Mr. Raines served on the Executive Committee of the California State Bar Litigation Section, as a member and an advisor. He served as a Principal Referee of the State Bar Court. Additionally, he has acted as Judge Pro Tem, Superior Court Arbitrator, and a conductor of settlement conferences under the auspices of the court.
Through the California Continuing Education of the Bar, Mr. Raines has lectured to other practicing attorneys on trial practice, civil litigation, and discovery techniques and methods. He is the author of the Continuing Education of the Bar's Action Guide: Handling Depositions, now in its fifth edition.
Mr. Raines has passed the National Board of Trial Advocacy's written examination for certification as a Civil Trial Advocate and is listed in Who's Who in American Law. He is a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association and the California Trial Lawyers Association, with recognized experience as a trial attorney.
- California, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- State Bar of California, Member, Litigation Section, Executive Committee
- State Bar Court, Principal Referee, 1983
- Municipal Court, Judge Pro Tem
- Legal Services, Trustee, 1988
- California State Bar Association
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, Lecturer and Author
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- California Trial Lawyers Association
- Depositions, California CEB Action Guide, Fall, 1986 (Revised, 1988 and 1990)
- Continuing Education of the Bar Action Guide: Handling Depositions, Fifth Edition, March 2007, Sixth Edition, March 2010, Seventh Edition, March 2013.
- Coldwell Banker
- McDonnell Douglas
- Picker International
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- Juris Doctor - 1974
- University of California, Santa Barbara, California
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1968
- Who's Who in American Law
- Recognized Experience as a Trial Lawyer, California Trial Lawyers Association
- United States Army