- Business and Contract Law
- Education Law
- Land Use and Real Estate
Gregory L. McCoy is the senior member of the Firm's business practice section, with over 35 years of experience counseling clients on a variety of business law issues.
In his practice, Mr. McCoy regularly advises clients on matters ranging from contractual negotiations and contract drafting to entity formation and dissolution. Mr. McCoy is frequently called on to assist in the preparation of employment agreements for executives, and also when issues arise in the termination of such agreements and an overall end to the employment or other business relationship.
Mr. McCoy has worked for several decades with individuals and business who were in the process of selling or acquiring a business, and has been involved in multiple transactions in which he negotiated and structured stock sale and asset purchase documentation.
A necessary element of doing business is making a selection as to the form in which to do business. Mr. McCoy assists clients in navigating through the choices available, and then preparing the organizational documentation to fulfill that choice, whether it is a corporation, limited liability company, general partnership, limited partnership or sole proprietorship.
Sometimes conflicts develop within the business structure which leads to buy-outs, reorganizations or liquidations, and Mr. McCoy has provided assistance to business entities and individuals in each of these circumstances throughout his career.
Part of any successful business plan includes consideration of agreements between the owners as to what will happen in the event of an owner's death, inability to continue in business, or any of a number of other triggering events. These are complicated areas of decision-making and draftsmanship, and Mr. McCoy has been involved in the negotiation and preparation of numerous agreements of this nature. Clients learn what alternatives are available to them, and as a result make better decisions on one of the most fundamental elements of any business.
As a result of both his community experience and business skills, Mr. McCoy has also developed a unique expertise in representing school administrators and school districts throughout the State of California on matters which require an acute understanding of Education Law. After being elected to the school board of the San Ramon Valley Unified School District in 1977 and serving two terms, including two terms as Board President, Mr. McCoy developed a unique perspective on not only the legal aspects but also the practical consequences of education law issues.
Mr. McCoy is rated as "Preeminent," with a Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 in Martindale-Hubbell.
- California, 1974
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1975
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1979
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1975
- ABA Corporation, Banking, and Business Law Section, Member
- San Ramon Valley Unified School District, Trustee, Member, 1977 to 1985
- California Bar Association, Member
- Contra Costa Bar Association, Member
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1974
- Claremont Men's College, Claremont, California
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1971
- "Preeminent," with a Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 in Martindale-Hubbell
- East Bay Community Foundation’s Board, a California nonprofit corporation, Past President (1983-1986)
- President of Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation
- Chair of the Governing Board of the San Ramon Regional Hospital Foundation
- Board of Directors of San Ramon Valley Community Services Group, President, 1991 to 1994
- Board of Directors of the Kennedy-King Memorial College Scholarship Foundation, Past President 1991 to 1994
- President of the Danville Rotary Club
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Chairmanship of Goodwill Industries of the Greater East Bay
- Judge Advocate General Corps at Newport, Rhode Island and Treasure Island, California, Naval Reserve Officer, 1974 to 1980