- Business and Contract Law
- Land Use and Real Estate
- Winery and Vineyard Law
Mr. Buehl's practice areas include a wide variety of real estate and land-use matters, as well as business transactions involving wineries and vineyards, including the drafting and negotiation of vineyard leases and grape contracts and the acquisition and disposition of wineries and vineyards. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University and a Juris Doctor degree from Stanford Law School, and became a member of the State Bar of California in 1974.
After beginning his legal career as a criminal trial attorney in Santa Clara County, Mr. Buehl served in both the Executive and Judicial Branches of California State Government, first as Chief Deputy Secretary of the cabinet-level State Agriculture and Services Agency in Sacramento, and later as Special Counsel and Executive Assistant to the Chief Justice of California at the California Supreme Court's headquarters in San Francisco.
In 1987, Mr. Buehl resumed his trial practice as a commercial litigator in the Palo Alto law offices of Holtzmann, Wise & Shepard (now a part of the Manatt Phelps law firm). In 1990, he became General Counsel of Rutherford Hill Winery and Jaeger Vineyards in the Napa Valley. There he handled both litigation and transactional matters, including winery regulatory affairs and land-use issues. Mr. Buehl joined Gagen McCoy in 1994 and is resident in its St. Helena office.
Mr. Buehl is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of California, and the Napa County Bar Association. He is an associate member of the Napa Valley Grapegrowers and is involved in various community affairs, including service on the Board of Directors of two non-profit organizations -- Rianda House Senior Activity Center (2018-present) and the St. Helena Boys & Girls Club (2004-2007) - as well as serving on several occasions as a member of the Steering Committee of Auction Napa Valley (formerly the Napa Valley Wine Auction), which benefits numerous local health care organizations.
In January 2009, the North Bay Business Journal selected Mr. Buehl as one of a small group of attorneys who were chosen for the Business Journal's list of "Who's Who in Wine Law" in Napa, Marin, and Sonoma Counties.
- California, 1974
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- Napa County Bar Association, Member
- Co-author of Racial Discrimination in Public Housing Site Selection (23 Stanford Law Review 63)
- Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- Juris Doctor
- Yale University
- Bachelor of Arts
- Who's Who in Wine Law” in Napa, Marin, and Sonoma Counties, North Bay Business Journal
- Napa Valley Grapegrowers, Associate Member
- Rianda House Senior Activity Center, Board Member
- St. Helena Boys & Girls Club, Board Member, 2004 to 2007
- Steering Committee of Auction Napa Valley, 1993, 1998, and 2005
- Chief Deputy Secretary of the State Agriculture and Services Agency in Sacramento, California (1975-1977)
- Special Counsel and Executive Assistant to the Chief Justice of California at the California Supreme Court's headquarters in San Francisco, California (1977-1987)
- Commercial Litigator, Holtzmann, Wise & Shepard (1987-1990)
- General Counsel, Rutherford Hill Winery and Jaeger Vineyards (1990-1994)