Have you been falsely accused of domestic violence?

On Behalf of | Apr 26, 2022 | Criminal Defense |

You’re sitting at home watching television, trying to unwind from a busy day at work. Suddenly, the police are at your door. They tell you that you have been accused of domestic violence by your ex-wife. They arrest you and take you in for questioning.

Being falsely accused of a crime can be devastating. Unfortunately, it does happen. Sometimes (especially with domestic violence allegations) an accusation can be an act of revenge or a strategic ploy to gain leverage in a custody battle.

Whatever the reason you’re facing charges, it is extremely important that you do everything in your power to protect yourself. The sooner you act, the better.

Steps to take after being falsely accused

The very first thing that you need to do is hire a criminal defense attorney. This person knows the law inside and out and will work with you to develop a strategy to deal with the accusation. Ask them to meet you at the police station. 

The next steps are important and should be executed as soon as possible:

  • Remain silent: Having been Mirandized, you know that anything you say may be used against you in court. That’s why it is important to keep quiet. When your attorney arrives, allow them to do the talking.
  • Arrange bail: If at all possible, you want to see if you can get out of jail while your case is pending. That can allow you to both remain employed, take care of your needs and participate better in your own defense.
  • Understand any restrictions: You will likely have a protective order in place against you. It’s very important that you fully understand your limitations and follow them. If you don’t, you will be charged with additional crimes – and that will make your case even more complicated.

This is just the tip of the iceberg in refuting the charges made against you. An experienced legal guide can help you navigate through this difficult journey.